Monday, December 19, 2005

With Age Comes ..... Responsibility??

Goddammit I hate weather people. Every time I say that the next time, I won't believe their evil lies and count on exactly the opposite of what they say. Then I fall for it....... again. Never fails!!

Yesterday (Sunday) was our firm's Christmas party at a local restaurant, started at 5:30 p.m. A few days before we had heard on the news that we were supposed to get some freezing rain Monday....then they changed it a little, saying it might start late Sunday night instead. Well, Sunday around 2 pm it started sleeting, and hard! Then, the sleet turned to snow. It was snowing pretty hard, but they were little flakes. Plus, we'd had 40+ mph winds all weekend long, so for a few hours there, it literally looked like a blizzard.... IN PORTLAND!! This just doesn't happen! Well, very rarely anyway. So, after a couple hours of this I realize that there's no way I'm going to attempt to drive to the party, with the threat of freezing rain coming and it being only about 30 degrees out and no change of warming up.

Well, the party got cancelled, and of course the snow stopped by 5 or 6, but the roads were still pretty bad. All over the news was "wave 2" of the storm, claiming "for sure" that a bad ice storm would follow the snow, beginning in the early morning hours of Monday. They did everything but swear on a stack of bibles... it was really coming!

So, I jump for joy at the sure-thing day off for Monday, woooohoooooo!! Can't beat that!! I haven't had a day off in months - since mid-September I think, when I was on vacation in Philly. I could use one! I figured I'd do what I always did, set my alarm like normal, get up, turn on the news, get the confirmation that the ice was upon us and I could call into work and get back to sleep with no worries. Well, when I woke up and turned on the news, I was disappointly and frustratingly informed that the temp was 35 instead of 31 and it was just raining and everything seemed to be just fine, except for a few slick spots. FUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

Never believe them. Ever. They lie. And, I think they enjoy it.