Thursday, September 22, 2005

#7. Rescue Me

Before you go to a pet store and buy a pet, please consider rescuing one from a shelter. But please, make it a lifelong committment. Consider the following poem:

Rescue me not only with your hands,
but with your heart as well. I will respond to you.
Rescue me not out of pity, but out of love.
I will love you back.
Rescue me not with self-righteousness,
but with compassion. I will learn what you teach.
Rescue me not because of my past,
but because of my future. I will relax and enjoy.
Rescue me not simply to save me,
but to give me a new life. I will appreciate your gift.
Rescue me not only with a firm hand,
but with tolerance and patience. I will please you.
Rescue me not only because of who I am,
but who I'm to become. I will grow and mature."