Monday, September 19, 2005

Dateline: Gaithersburg 9/20/5

This is a live interview in progress after the Redskins-Cowboy Football Game:

And I would like to thank the football gods for their forebearance in the game, but I do have to remind you that from the beginning of training camp, we always hear from the coaches that it's the 4th quarter that counts. We train, we build out endurance, and we learn to persevere for the 4 th quater, and it looks like it paid off tonight. I'd also like to remind all of you reporters that there was another trade last year involving a Moss and all of you missed it. Santana Moss plays for the Redskins, and he and Mark Brunnell beat Dallas tonight 14 to 13. Dallas has 2:35 left in the 4th quarter when Washington took the lead. Parts of the Mid-Atlantic region stopped breathing for the next 15 minutes or so. But yea verily, contrary to recent experience, the Redskins held on to win.

All of this in the face of very pro-Dallas coverage from Al Michaels and John Madden (yes Virginia, they named the software after him). The game had ended, the Redskins had won, and neither Madden nor Michaels had come up with a player of the game who's picture is put on the side of the ABC horse trailer. Eventually, it was decided that Santana Moss was the Player of the Game. There's some very happy Fantasy player here tonight too, locutus had Santana Moss, and destroyed the rest of us with his 7 of 9 team!

For me, in the face of all the negative coverage for over a decade, the season can end tonight. The Redskins are 2 - 0, we won it all!!!! (please excuse me Vicki but although you all won Sunday 45 - 3 over San Francisco, your team is only 1 - 1, just like the Cowboys. They didn't look so good, 13 points in 4 quarters, harrumph. I invite you and all of the Philly fans to increase your season record by doing to the Cowboys what you did to the 49ers!

In the meantime, I have a pound of my high butter fat Belgian chocolate, and some gourmet raspberry jam, two bottles of claret, the manual I printed out, and fond memories of tangoing with a gorgeous redhead, and I'm going to go get a friendly female friend to celibrate. I called into work a few minutes ago and left them a message that I was too sick to come in. It's time to celibrate!!!!!

GO REDSKINS

Monty